First, I completely fell off the wagon as far as eating right goes. I was doing so well writing down everything I ate, watching my caloric intake, avoiding sweets and too many carbs. But alas. It was not sustainable. And this is why:
On Friday of last week (so, the 12th of October) I was offered a full time position at the company I had been temping at, EF Eduction First. Last week was my first official week there as an actual employee. I have to say, now that I have a real job again I finally feel actually at home here in Cambridge. I've made friends, I know where things are, I bought a jacket that is warmer than a hoodie, I own more than one scarf, and I've given directions to strangers three times! I also left the dark ages and got a smartphone, thereby discovering Instagram. (And for some reason these pictures are all different sizes and it won't let me fix it!)
![]() |
| Downtown Boston, view from my work ~ 10.19.2012 |
![]() | ||
| The Memorial Church, Harvard University Campus, on my way home ~ 10.20.2012 |
![]() |
| Johnston Gate, Harvard Yard, where I wait for the bus ~ 10.21.2012 |
![]() |
| Cambridge Street, Harvard Square ~ 10.21.2012 |
![]() |
| Langdell Law Library, also on my walk home ~ 10.21.2012 |
Anyway, back to what I was saying. So I got this new (read: awesome) job, and I went on a shopping spree, which of course put me at the mall. And at the mall, there are mall pretzels. Not Auntie Annie's or Wetzel Pretzel, but mall pretzels nonetheless. I couldn't resist, and I figured hey, I got a new job, I should celebrate.
I ended up celebrating pretty much all week. However, I did manage to make a couple of healthy dinners that were actually, surprisingly, rather delicious. One such meal was this:
![]() |
| Low-Carb Vegetable Quiche, picture from here. |
Three 7 or 8 inch whole wheat flour tortillas
2 oz. shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 cup broccoli
1/2 of a small red bell pepper
2 green onions, sliced
1 8oz carton egg whites
3/4 c. fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. crushed, dried thyme
1/8 tsp salt
black pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp)
Coat a 7" pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Press tortillas into pan and sprinkle with cheese. Boil your broccoli, bell pepper, and onions for in a small covered saucepan until crisp-tender, and drain well. Place on top of sprinkled cheese in tortilla covered plan. Stir together remaining ingredients and pour over vegetables. Sprinkle the top with cheese (if you so desire). Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted through the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!






No comments:
Post a Comment