Fall is upon us! I look this picture on my way to work the other day. This is at Church St. and Mass Ave., right next to Cambridge Common (the park, not the restaurant). I am busting out all those scarves and mittens I had collected in Phoenix and never used!
Second, I wanted to share some really cute mason jar labels I recently found! You can download these here. Aren't they cute?? You can even download them blank so you can write whatever you want on them using something like Photoshop or GIMP. Great for gifts and stuff. I'm looking for some more holiday-ish labels for the Christmas gifts I plan to make :)
And on to the horrifying things: The mice returned :( Again, I have been fortunate to never actually see any of these mice, but Josh saw one a while back when we had that gas leak issue with the oven, and when I thought I filled the hole that was letting mice in. Much to my chagrin (and I can't emphasize that enough), Josh came home from a class while I was still at work and found one caught in one of the traps we had left set in the kitchen. As much as I relished in its demise, I couldn't help but be completely horrified, appalled, and generally disgusted by the idea of yet another mouse death in my kitchen.
In addition to the fact that my new oven is still giving off that stinky, chemically new oven smell, making baking anything difficult, this mouse issue has been a huge psychological hurdle for me. I know that both sounds and is ridiculous, but I have to say it's true. I didn't want to venture into my kitchen, much less cook in it, after the most recent mouse incident, and I felt like I was living in squalor. It wasn't until I did some research on getting rid of mice that I started to feel better:
Apparently mice can manage to find their way into even the nicest of homes in the Northeast and that is just a fact of life here. I am not, in fact, living in squalor. That being the case, I decided to wage a preemptive war on the mice that may try to come in as it gets colder (and boy, is it getting colder!). I purchased several d-CON covered mouse traps that are not only more discreet but also shield you from the potential gore of death-by-mousetrap. I also purchased several Rubbermaid plastic food storage containers and mason jars which I put all of my grain-y foods in: flour, sugar, bread crumbs, kosher salt, brown sugar, confectioners sugar, cereal, baking soda, pasta, basically everything.
In addition to supplies for my war on rodents, I also purchased a fantastic food and fitness diary which I plan to use religiously. I figure I will start my new weight loss routine slowly by logging the foods I eat, how many carbs I'm eating, and what my blood sugar is. I have pretty much not been taking care of my blood sugar at all recently: I'm eating a lot of carbs and needing to take more insulin, both of which lead to increased weight gain. If I eat what I'm supposed to be eating by way of carbs and managing my blood sugar, that I think will be (for me) a solid start.
I'll let you know how it goes :)


No comments:
Post a Comment