Pages

Spiced Caramel Cider

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Photo Source
 My mom and dad made this Spiced Caramel Cider last and it was DELICIOUS. 

1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup whipping cream
5 whole allspice
5 whole cloves
2 three-inch cinnamon sticks
10 c. apple cider or apple juice
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Cinnamon sticks (optional garnish)

In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, combine sugar and water. While stirring, cook until sugar melts. Without stirring, cook an additional 5 minutes or until golden. Remove your saucepan from heat and let it stand for one minute. Stir in butter until it melts, then gradually add your whipping cream, stirring constantly until your caramel sauce is smooth.

Wrap your allspice, cloves, and cinnamon sticks in a double layer of cheesecloth and tie off (you are creating something like a tea bag). In a 4 qt. electric slow cooker, add your cider, orange juice, and caramel sauce. Stir until your caramel sauce dissolves. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours before removing cheesecloth bag and stirring in your lemon juice.

In other news, I have been completely out of commission these last two days. Josh took me to an urgent care center this morning, and without going into all of the gory details, I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis that may be starting to turn into pneumonia. Not fun, and definitely not how I want to spend my holiday break!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gabby!

    Can I just say that I've been exploring your site for the last ten minutes and I am blown away. You are a gifted writer, photographer, designer...what can't you do? ;-) But seriously, I really think you have a such an inspiring corner of the blogosphere over here...and it's interesting to read about the meaning behind your blog title. We don't have kids yet, but have friends who do, and it seems that all the buzz is about classical education right now! I'm so glad to hear that you really saw its merits.

    Thanks for your kind comment on my blog, which afforded me the opportunity to stop by and gawk at your amazingness. I'll definitely be back.

    Oh, and right! The cider! I had to leave my comment on this post in particular because I am a HUGE cider fan. It has been my drink of choice this winter. I hope to try your yummy recipe. My tummy is rumbling right now for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! I'm so glad you enjoyed! And the cider is to die for! If you try it I hope it's amazing!

      Delete