Pages

White Wine Spritzer

Saturday, August 4, 2012

I cannot continue to live in fear.

As it happens I also cannot continue to live without eating, so I am conquering my fear of ever seeing one of *them* largely against my will. Tonight I made the first of what is hopefully a series of steps to improve my life and general well-being: I made a white wine spritzer. And to do so, I ventured into my kitchen--and not a moment too soon: we were dangerously close to being out of fruit snacks.

I was searching Pinterest today, putting together a list of things I planned to purchase at the grocery store, when I stumbled across this little gem. It is beyond easy and, despite only having three to four ingredients, is quite tasty (I'm enjoying one now, actually, as you can see at left).

Chilled Sprite or 7up
Chilled Barefoot Moscato White Wine
Frozen Raspberries
and, if you're feeling adventurous,
perhaps a splash of Grenadine?

Pour yourself equal parts Sprite (can be Sprite Zero) and Moscato (which I love, as it is one of the few wines that meet my sweetness criterion), and plop in some frozen raspberries and that's it! I didn't have any Grenadine on hand, but I was tempted to experiment with it and I think it would be good. But I certainly really know nothing about wine beyond that it comes from grapes and tastes good, so don't quote me on that. This would be beyond easy to make in large quantities for a party or something.

I plan to make some biscuits that are allegedly rather tasty later in the week, and they called for 7up, oddly enough, so I bought a liter of full-sugar 7up. As a diabetic I generally avoid full-sugar soda and instead opt for their aspartame-ridden but carb-free diet alternatives, and I only venture over to the dark side when I have a low blood sugar, or when my sister has ordered a Shirley Temple that is too tempting to be left alone. So this spritzer was a perfect way to use up that 7up (I bought a rather large bottle of Moscato...). Also, I love the way raspberries go squish and fall apart in your mouth.

So hopefully this post will be the first of a series describing my journey from a cowardly and jobless lump to a gainfully employed domestic goddess--or at the very least, someone who puts things back when she takes them out and knows how to cook more than 10 things. There is still a box on the floor of my bedroom that I haven't unpacked yet. I've avoided unpacking it because if I do so, it will mean I really live here, which is kind of scary (note post below). And it mostly contains winter hats and gloves and things I don't need yet, so I haven't been in any hurry to get rid of the box. But I think its time.

No comments:

Post a Comment